Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review of Samsung Note II Smartphone


After debating between getting the Samsung Galaxy S III and the Note II, I finally decided on the Note II for a couple of reasons. If you’re thinking of getting this phone, read on to see what I think of it.
I’ve only had this phone for about a week, but so far, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I come from the cellular phone industry and I’ve had more than my fair share of smartphones. This is the “smartest” smartphone I have owned. It is also the largest. In fact, with a screen size of 5.5 inches, it’s the largest smartphone currently sold.
So what made me decide to get this monster over the Samsung Galaxy S III? For one, I like the some of the different functionalities. I often write and jot down ideas. On my old phone, I would have to pull up a notepad app and try to type out my ideas on my tiny keypad. It was a joke. However, with the Note II, I am able to pull out the S pen (the name for the Note II stylus), jot down my ideas while I go about my day, and save them for later review. I found that I have been writing more since I got the phone.

Another thing I really like about the Note II is that you’re able to use drop-down menus on websites. Some smartphones that I've used, including a tablet, haven’t allowed me to use drop-down menus. I can view them, but I am not able to make selections from them. With the Note II, I am able to use dropdown menus.
Another impressive feature of the Note II is that it includes an application called “S voice.” This is unique to the Note II and Samsung Galaxy S III. It’s Samsung’s version of “Siri,” iPhone’s personal assistant app. Although S Voice and Siri are similar in functionality, iPhone’s Siri has a quicker response time than S Voice. Otherwise, I like the S Voice feature.
If your phone's camera is important to you, then you will want to know that the camera on this protrudes out, which makes it prone to scratches and scuffs. As of my writing this, cases are limited since the phone is so new, so whatever case you choose, make sure it really protects the camera lens.
The massive size of the Note II has its advantages and disadvantages. It’s great for viewing websites and media, but not so great for general phone use. The phone itself is rather sleek and thin, which helps make up for the large area of the phone. Accessorizing with a case, a necessity with this phone, adds even more bulk. That said, this phone is not work-out and sports friendly. I am nervous about taking it with me in some of my activities. A Bluetooth will help in that regard, but it’s still a huge phone to pack around.

No comments:

Post a Comment